ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Ant2 and properties
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 23:14:43 GMT
At 12:26  4/12/00 -0800, you wrote:
>> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>>
>> At 12:30  5/12/00 +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>>
>> I was thinking that we could still shortcut it aswell.
>>
>> ie <property name="foo" value="hello" /> is equivelent to
>> above. However
>> <property name="foo" value="${myfileset}" /> would actually
>> assign foo a
>> FileSet object (assuming ${myfileset} evaluated to a FileSet).
>>

>> >and what it would mean for
>> >non-string properties (equivalent to toString() method, perhaps)
>>
>> yep. See my latest proposal for what I think on that .
>>

>The two things above are inconsistent. Either "${myfileset}"
>is the result ot toString() method applied to the fileset,
>or something else. But it should not be different things depending
>of who is using it.

It is not differnt based on who is used it but what is stored in in the
value. If an integer is stored in the property then it will evaluate to an
Integer object, if a fileset is stored in there it will evaluate to a
fileset. toString() is only called in cases like

<property name="blah" value="${somevar} is a variable" />

In this case ${somevar} will be "demoted" to a string because it is
contained in another string.

Cheers,

Pete