ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant2 and properties
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 09:15:06 GMT
At 09:44  4/12/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I see the following as the scopes
>> 1. Workspace
>> 2. Project
>> 3. Target
>> 4. Task
>>
>> Scope 4 is completely seperate from all others so can effectively be
>> ignored.
>
>Apart from this mail I've never seen the Workspace scope.

hmm - I think I may have used a different term for it ... I think Sam was
talking about System level scope or something similar and my brain just
naturally translated this to Workspace ;)

>I see the
>distinction between Workspace and Project is somewhat similar to the
>one between Project and Subproject - there are some properties you set
>in the higher level that should never be overwritten and others where
>it should be permitted IMHO.

I agree.

>> I don't think anyone has decided how property setting will work (ie
>> are overwrites allowed, do we always write to current scope or
>> parent scope or ...) but other than that do I grok the current ideas
>> ?
>
>I'm not sure it has been decided to unify properties as they are in
>1.x with references to something new (properties 2.x) but I can't
>remember anybody arguing against it.

Okay - I was thinking that something like this would be useful to unify all
the different data-types.

<property name="foo">
  <mydata-type attr="1">
  ...blah...
  </mydata-type>
</property>

Where mydata-type could be filesets, patternsets, filter-sets, mappers etc.
The different types that could be created would be dynamically registered
at runtime. So if if some-one wanted the BlimBlamBlah data type to be added
that they could implement an interface and register it through a property
file. They could then declare and use it just like filesets/patternsets etc

This kinda functionality would be useful for certain specialized areas.

>Other than that I think you've summarized the current state correctly
>- but maybe that's just because I agree with you 8-).

;)
Cheers,

Pete