ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:23:51 GMT
Hi Jim,

Would you be able to say if your "frANTic" proposal will help simplify the
way I currently have to use Ant to deal with the build issues I have, and
if so, how?

I'm trying to understand the differences between the various proposals,
but I'm not really able to do that at this point, since I haven't seen any
examples of real-world use cases. I don't expect any of the proposals to
eliminate the build issues I have to deal with -- what I'm looking for are
examples of how proposal A will help simplify the way I need to use Ant to
accommodate the build issues I have.

For example, in one of my "subproject" build-files, I have 38 <javac>
tasks, all of which have the same first 10 lines, ending at the opening
<classpath> tag -- then the <pathelement>'s specific to this task, then
the <include>'s (and possibly <exclude>'s) specific to this task. Rinse,
repeat. :)  I would love to have a less redundant way of specifying these
compile tasks, but Ant doesn't currently have any way to do that. Would
"frANTic"?

I would also like to have a property-setting build-file that I could
"include", rather than having the same (or nearly the same) project-level
<property>'s in each of my 65 build-files -- would "frANTic" allow for a
simple way to do that, and if so, how?

BTW: Anyone else who's put forth a proposal who'd like to offer examples,
please feel free. I don't know if other people feel this way, but I really
need to see how something would actually work before I can say "yea" or
"nay" as to whether I like it.

Thanks,
Diane

=====