ant-dev mailing list archives

From Simeon Fitch <meta...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AW: Whoa Bessie... Was -- Re: [Proposal] AntFarm
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:31:16 GMT

--- Ken Wood <kwood@i2.com> wrote:
> How about the good old fashioned way:
>
> 1. A requirements specification that spells
>    out WHAT the software must do, without
>    ANY indication of how it should be done.
>
> 2. A design document that specifies HOW the
>    requirements will be met via a proposed
>    implementation.
>
> I suspect the reason we have so many proposals
> in the form of code is that code is fun to write.
> Specifications and design documents are NOT fun
> to write. But, they are a better way communicate
> a software effort than trying to compare multiple
> proposals in the form of different codebases.

I second that (and is what I somewhat tried to do when getting Antidote off
the ground). Plus it is much easier to debate over a single UML class
diagram that a collection of 20 or so java source files. A high level class
diagram would go far in helping the different proposals come to some
consensus.

sim