ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <>
Subject Re: init targets
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 07:04:23 GMT
--- James Bucanek <> wrote:
>      <project name="workhorse" default="main" start="init"
> finish="cleanup" success="incrementsaleries" failure="firesomeone"/>

I think the problem I'd have with project-level "auto-tasks" is that you
could have targets that you -wouldn't- want/need to have all these run
when you're running those targets. For example, I have a "usage" target
that prints out a list of (some of) the targets and what they do (similar
to the Ant command flag -projecthelp, but not exactly). It doesn't depend
on anything being run before it or after it. If, say, I had a
project-level "success" specification that sent mail, I certainly wouldn't
want that happening every time a "build" succeeded, since a "build" can be
something as simple as running 'ant usage' -- so I wouldn't actually be
able to use "success" for sending mail afterall, or for much of anything
else either. Same for the others -- I wouldn't be able to use them, since
they wouldn't always apply.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be availabe just because I couldn't use them
-- just pointing out a possible gotcha.

Do You Yahoo!?