ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Taskdef for XMLC (xmlc.enhydra.org)...
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:32:23 GMT
The problem I have with Jon's recommended approach is that it doesn't let
me know there is already an Ant task available for something. For example,
if I were thinking "Gee, it'd be really nice to have an Ant task to deal
with Perforce stuff", I wouldn't look over on the Perforce web-site for an
Ant task for it -- I would look on the Ant web-site. And if I didn't find
anything, I'd think, "Okay, guess no one's done that yet -- I'll have to
write something myself." Same for XMLC, etc.

I like the idea of people having a central place they can contribute the
tasks they've written. Maybe having a jakarta-ant-contrib would be a
reasonable thing to do -- a place where people can contribute the work
they've done, where they don't have to pass it through the Ant committers
for approval and submission -- with the understanding that "contrib" is
unsupported by "ant-dev" (maybe have an "ant-contrib" list). If the Ant
powers-that-be just really don't want to have to deal with even having it
under the Ant CVS site, maybe someone could set up an alternate site, and
the Ant site could simply have a pointer to that.

Personally, I'd love to at least have a chance to see any tasks that have
been written for Ant that anyone wants to put out there -- including your
"tons of tasks", Jon.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)