ant-dev mailing list archives

From Curtis White <soar...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Proposed Enhancement to "ant.bat" script
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:19:21 GMT

--- Louis Tribble <louis.tribble@metamata.com> wrote:

> although
> not
> > > >

> > > I vote for HOME to be used. $HOME is what is
> used in
> > > the Unix script. And since you have to set it as
> an
> > > environment variable on Windows regardless of
> whether
> > > it is HOME or USERPROFILE (at least on Win9x),
> it
> > > seems to me it would be better to make it the
> one that
> > > is more like the Unix version. Also, I never use
> the
> > > USERPROFILE directory on NT. I prefer to create
> > > directory somewhere and define it in an
> environment
> > > variable. Just my opinion.
> > >

> > I am fine with %HOME% but I would just note that
> it is not set automatically
> > by the OS. Therefore the script will be looking at
> \antrc.bat on the current
> > drive. No big deal and people can, of course, set
> up %HOME%, no problems.
> > Speaking from an NT perspective, I would also note
> that %USERPROFILE%
> > matches the JVM's setting of ${user.home}. The
> difference between these two
> > "homes" may be a source of some confusion. For
> example, the following in a
> > build.xml will be using a different home from
> antrc.bat.
> >
> >   <property
> file="${user.home}/foobar.properties"/>
> >
> > If it is to be %HOME% then we should document that
> users should set that up
> > appropriately.
>
> Ant is supposed to be cross-platform. Making Windows
> users modify
> their environment to look like Unix unnecessarily
> sounds wrong to me.
> By default, Ant should expect to use a standard
> Windows setup. The
> discrepancy with the user.home property is further
> reason to leave
> it alone.

The point I was trying to make wasn't to make Windows
users modify their environment to look like Unix. The
point was that if they have to modify their
environment anyway, they might as well modify it in a
consistent manner as the Unix script. And the script
variables have nothing to do with being cross platform
because the .bat file and Unix shell script are
specific to their respective platforms anyway (they
are not cross platform).

But I do agree that the discrepancy with the user.home
property could be a problem.

Curtis