ant-dev mailing list archives

From Curtis White <soar...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Proposed Enhancement to "ant.bat" script
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 19:50:28 GMT

> > > Why two scripts?
> >
> > Maybe it would be better to have a single script
> and two modes.
> >
> > if exist "%USERPROFILE%\antrc.bat" call
> "%HOME%\antrc.bat" start
> >
> > and then after ant,
> >
> > if exist "%USERPROFILE%\antrc.bat" call
> "%HOME%\antrc_post.bat" stop
> >
> > Keeps it all in one place. Also I replaced %HOME%
> with %USERPROFILE%. I
> > don't think %HOME% is set under either NT or
> Win9X. USERPROFILE is set
> > under NT but a Win9X appropriate location should
> also be determined.
> >
> > Conor
>
> That (single script) would be fine with me, although
> we probably need at least a
> simple example in the docs for people who are not
> batch file gurus.  I'm -0 on
> USERPROFILE instead -- I set up HOME in my own
> (Win98) environment for stuff
> like this, and both CVS and SSH respect it.

I vote for HOME to be used. $HOME is what is used in
the Unix script. And since you have to set it as an
environment variable on Windows regardless of whether
it is HOME or USERPROFILE (at least on Win9x), it
seems to me it would be better to make it the one that
is more like the Unix version. Also, I never use the
USERPROFILE directory on NT. I prefer to create a
directory somewhere and define it in an environment
variable. Just my opinion.

Curtis