ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Simeon H.K. Fitch" <sim...@fitch.net>
Subject Re: A Users Experience
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:46:12 GMT
On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 05:22:34PM -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:

<snip>

> cd jakarta-ant
> ./bootstrap.sh
>
> I then got a bazillion build errors.

<snip>

> I'm going to rant once more that any simple user should be able to check Ant
> out of CVS and build it. If the documentation at least showed me the .jar
> files that I needed, I would be up for downloading all of them and
> installing them into whatever classpath I need to setup, but of course there
> isn't any documentation, so this stuff should just go into CVS and make all
> of our lives easier.

The jakarta-ant/README that I have has the entry:

	For building see docs/index.html#buildingant.

When I go to that section I get the following directions (bare with me here):

   Go to the directory jakarta-ant.

   Make sure the JDK is in you path.

   Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable. This should be set to the
   directory where the JDK is installed. See Installing Ant for examples
   on how to do this for your operating system.

   Run bootstrap.bat (Windows) or bootstrap.sh (UNIX) to build a
   bootstrap version of Ant.

   When finished, use

     build.bat -Dant.dist.dir=<directory to install Ant> dist

   for Windows, and

     build.sh -Dant.dist.dir=<directory to install Ant> dist

   for UNIX, to create a binary distribution of Ant. This distribution
   can be found in the directory you specified.

<snip>

   There are lots of variants that can be used to run Ant. What you need
   is at least the following:

   The classpath for Ant must contain ant.jar and any jars/classes needed
   for your chosen JAXP compliant XML parser.

   When you need JDK functionality (like a javac task, or a rmic task),
   then for JDK 1.1, the classes.zip file of the JDK must be added to the
   classpath; for JDK 1.2 or JDK 1.3, tools.jar must be added. The
   scripts supplied with ant, in the bin directory, will add tools.jar
   automatically if the JAVA_HOME environment variable is set.

-----

At which part of the above instructions did your attempt die? Can you
offer some recommendations on how the instructions and/or the
bootstrap.sh script can be improved? It is important to get specific
recommendations, especially from non-regular submitters, as it is
often hard to see the forest for the trees when you have been using it
for a while.

thx,

sim

--