ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Rosenberg" <ja...@squaretrade.com>
Subject Re: Problem using script task
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:44:45 GMT

> I'd like to see Ant2 shipping with a full scripting implementation actually.
> Via a <script> task of course, but I don't think there is an issue with
> scripts modifing the project tree or calling it's own tasks or executing
> targets.

Ant is a scripting language.  The idea of using a <script> task is a bit
nonsensical.  Just extend the Ant Scripting language to do the simple
things we need (there are not too many of these).

> Right -- anything that happens in the scope of a task is fair game. Now,
> whether or not that task is core or optional is a different story. :)

The fundamental "core" issues are:

    Compound conditonal gating for target execution (if-and-or-not-(nested)).
    A priori conditional gating prior to unnecessary dependency execution.
    Direct target execution (not just from a "depends" list, or from an antcall).
    Ability to update and change the value of a property several times during run-time.

Some fundamental "task" issues are:

    if-then-else
    switch
    loop