ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Rosenberg" <ja...@squaretrade.com>
Subject Re: Fw: Problem using script task
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:33:45 GMT
What I see as really great about Ant is that it provides
a very clean, platform-independent framework for building
platform-independent software.

In addition to the obvious platform independent advantages
of working with java type stuff, it also hides the details of
dealing with file-system stuff, which is usually very platform
specific.  Issues such as checking relative time-stamps,
and converting '\' to '/', etc.

Also, it has a very clean target/dependency/task description
frame work, which is nicely extensible and customizable.

But it has some fundamental short-comings.  I am formulating
a more formal argument on this, which I will post later.

Some key points:

    Ant is already a programming language; it gets interpreted
    directly by the virtual machine that is 'org.apache.tools.ant.Main.main'.

    It already includes fundamental programming constructs, such
    as variable declarations (e.g. <property>), conditional execution

    Those fundamental programming constructs have fundamental
    shortcomings, which severly limit one's ability to construct
    simple scripts which can be applied as a library of parameterized
    templates for doing a long list of similar tasks.

    There are some simple extensions to Ant which would rescue
    these short-comings.

    The <script> task is at best a hack.  It dangerously exposes the
    externals of Ant (can access non-standard, non-user-mode
    methods, etc.).  Its use requires an internal knowledge of Ant.   It
    requires the installation and independent maintenance and
    monitoring of a bunch of other software components (bsf, rhino).

    Ant itself IS A SCRIPTING LANGUAGE already.  Object-oriented
    zealotry can only take one so far.

Jason