ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Rosen, Alex" <aro...@silverstream.com>
Subject RE: Whoa Bessie... Was -- Re: [Proposal] AntFarm
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:05:01 GMT
> However, if you'll notice I didn't start writing emails to the effect that I
> had *some* privileges until the time when people said, not clearly, but
> essentially, "go away, you have no rights here". Then I started arguing that
> I did have rights. And quite frankly, being told to go away is a slap in the
> face. Admittedly I did throw weight around. I was peeved.
>
> It was when I started even saying that I had some right to be
> here that all the hate came out.

Duncan, that's not the way I saw it. I think you may have interpreted "you have
no benevolent dictator rights here" to mean "you have no rights here." I just
took a (very cursory) look at the chronology of the past few weeks. I think
after all the proposals, there was plenty of discussion of the merits of the
different proposals. I didn't see anything other than technical disussion
initially - certainly nothing that implied "go away" or "you have no rights
here". Perhaps you assumed that your proposal would be automatically accepted
as The Ant 2.0, and when you weren't granted those high levels of rights, you
assumed that you were not being granted any rights.

The original "Whoa Bessie" post marks the beginning of the strife. That message
certainly wasn't "arguing that you did have rights" (i.e. any rights at all),
as you suggest above - it argued that you had the right to define Ant 2.0.
*That's* when things hit the fan, not before. Even after that, I don't remember
any posts that said "go away", either explicitly or implicitly. What they said
was, you can't have absolute rights over Ant, higher than the other committers.

If that's not acceptable to you, it looks like Ant might fork. (Not a judgement
as to the merits of either side, just an observation.) That would be a bummer.
But I hope that all this strife wasn't caused by a misinterpretation of
people's sentiments.

Alex