ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@m64.com>
Subject RE: A Users Experience
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 09:08:10 GMT
Jon,

Interestingly, this is because they use ant :-) Ant translates the path
given to it into something reasonable for the JVM under which it is
running. When Ant is being bootstrapped, it does not have yet have that
facility available.

By bootstrapping, here I mean bulding ant purely from its source. We
always use ant to build ant (once it has been bootstrapped).  By Peter's
definition therefore, ant always bootstraps itself :-)

I think being able to bootstrap from source is an important capability
which should be retained. (i.e. no need for ant.jar to build ant.jar)

> Oh wait...I actually care about the fact that novice
> developers want to
> compile from source code.

I care too :-)

You have championed jars in CVS and used Turbine as an example. Turbine,
however, chooses to assume a colocated checkout for servlet.jar. (I
couldn't find anything in the readme about that, though). Would you
support such an approach for ant too?

Conor