ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Scotte Zinn" <sz...@patronix.com>
Subject RE: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:55:43 GMT
IMHO, this kind of feature seems to have nothing to do with building
product, and shouldn't be part of ant itself.  The CM group should
manage/define the 'official' toolset.  Others, (i.e., the developers) may
have their own local mods, which is fine, as long as they either aren't
required for the 'official' build, or are accepted by the CM group.  Having
a tool that modifies itself may hinder the mandate of the CM group which is
to build any past version of the product at any time exactly.

If a -selfupdate kind of feature is requested, maybe it should be a task
unto itself and a Build.xml (or whatever it is going to be called) is part
of the distribution that will provide the updated information.

This suggests another kind of extensibility: namely, the ability to write a
java class that is used by a custom command-line switch.

-- Scotte