Return-Path: Mailing-List: contact ant-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org; run by ezmlm Delivered-To: mailing list ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org Received: (qmail 57301 invoked by uid 500); 29 Nov 2000 17:18:32 -0000 Delivered-To: apmail-jakarta-ant-cvs@apache.org Received: (qmail 57261 invoked by uid 1146); 29 Nov 2000 17:18:28 -0000 Date: 29 Nov 2000 17:18:28 -0000 Message-ID: <20001129171828.57259.qmail@locus.apache.org> From: bodewig@locus.apache.org To: jakarta-ant-cvs@apache.org Subject: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/docs VAJAntTool.html bodewig 00/11/29 09:18:24 Added: docs VAJAntTool.html Log: Documentation for Ant <-> VA for Java integration. Submitted by: Siberski, Wolf Revision Changes Path 1.1 jakarta-ant/docs/VAJAntTool.html Index: VAJAntTool.html =================================================================== Ant VisualAge for Java Tool Integration

Ant PlugIn for VisualAge for Java

by Version 1.0 - 2000/11/09

Table of Contents

Introduction

Visual Age for Java is a great Java IDE, but it lacks decent build support for creating deliveries. On the other hand, Ant supports the build process very good, but is (at least at the moment) command line based. So we decided to write a small visual Ant frontend to make running Ant from VAJ possible. We use the Tool API to integrate Ant in VisualAge for Java. In combination with the VAJ targets (vajload, vajexport, vajimport) you can load defined defined versions of projects into your workspace, export the source code, compile it with an external compiler and build a jar without leaving the IDE. Of course compile messages are viewed in a logging window. Concluding: This tool provides a comfortable deployment VAJ has not (out of the box)!

Installation

At the moment the installation has it's rough edges. If something described below doesn't work for You, it's probably not Your fault but incomplete/wrong instructions. In this case, please contact one of the authors.
We assume C:\IBMVJava as VAJ install directory. If You have installed it elsewhere, adapt the pathes below. Execute following steps to get the PlugIn up and running:

Usage

Beeing sure the tool is installed correctly and your Ant build file is configured, it is really easy to use.
Go to your Workbench, select the project you want to deploy and open its context menu. In the submenu Tools you should find the new entry Ant Build. Klick it to start the tool!

After a short time this frame should pop up:

This frame contains the following: After you have set up your buildprocess you might find it useful to save the data you've just entered, so we implemented an option to save it to the repository into your selected project. Make sure that you have an open edition of your project before selecting Save BuildInfo To Repository from the File menu. Now your information is saved to this edition of your project and will be loaded automatically the next time you start Ant Build.
If you have closed the log window accidentally, it can be reopened with the Log item in the File menu, and if you want to know who developed this, just select About in the Help menu.

Frequently Asked Questions

F: I want to load, export and build more then one Visual Age project to one jar! How to?
A: The VA tasks are able to load and export several Projects all at once. You can choose whatever project you like for storing the tool information, it doesn't really matter.

VisualAge for Java Versions

This tool integration has been tested with versions 3.02 and 3.5 of VisualAge for Java. It should run with the 2.x Versions, too, but we didn't try. The graphical user interface is build with AWT so it is JDK independent by now!

Copyright © 2000 Apache Software Foundation. All rights Reserved.