ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Proposed API Refactoring
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:03:15 GMT
Barrie Treloar <Barrie.Treloar@camtech.com.au> wrote:

> It would be helpful to prioritize this list as well.

probably yes. Unfortunately I'm quite busy at the moment and don't
think I'll find to actually read Simeon's mail completely before next
week.

> But how do we go about collating this information and tracking the
> completion of tasks?

Even though Apache doesn't really have much more than CVS and mailing
lists, these tools can be used very efficiently. See struts for
example, they have a TODO list in CVS and on the website with tasks
assigned to individuals (OK, this is pure theory as Craig is the only
one volunteering for anything).

Let's see. If we can bundle the changes into more or less independent
chunks, lets specify them formally and search for volunteers to work
on them - I think there should always be at least one committer
vaguely responsible.

When the implementation for one of the changes is ready, we are going
to review and then commit it. If the changes are big, it might be
useful to create a branch so that people can easily compare old and
new versions of it.

What Pete was referring to is a thread with the subject "Proposal for
Revolutionaries and Evolutionaries" by Duncan, see
<mailto:general-thread.2526@jakarta.apache.org> if you're interested
in the details.

The context of that thread is, that Craig proposed a different
architecture for Tomcat, causing heated discussions. His proposal
became Catalina which will be the servlet container in Tomcat 4 - an
example for a successful revolution.

Stefan