ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] jar distribution system
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:47:04 GMT
Jon Stevens <jon@latchkey.com> wrote:

> I have placed the start of cjan.xml up on the jakarta.apache.org
> site
>
> <http://jakarta.apache.org/cjan/cjan.xml>

Just a quick thought:

CJAN (the client side application) needs some way to know whether a
given dependency is fulfilled on the local system or not. I see two
options here:

(1) keep track on all JARs that have ever been loaded and installed in
a CJAN registry.

This forces the user to install every component which might be
available to CJAN through CJAN - I don't think you can expect this on
a multi user system, even for single use boxes this seems too strong
therefore I'd prefer

(2) Add some <available> like functionality. The section describing a
product as well as a service (I like Conor's concept) should hold
something like

<product name="Ant" permissionToDistribute="true">
  <version label="1.2" latest="true">
    <provides classname="org.apache.tools.ant.types.FileSet" />
    <depends service="jaxp" version="1.0" required="true"/>
  </version>
  <version label="1.1" latest="false">
    <provides classname="org.apache.tools.ant.Main" />
  </version>
</product>

<service name="jaxp">
  <version label="1.0" latest="false">
    <provides classname="javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory" />
    <provider name="xerces" version="1.2"/>
    <provider name="jaxp_reference" version="1.0"/>
  </version>
</service>

Stefan