ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Proposed API Refactoring
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:10:19 GMT
Simeon Fitch <metasim@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If I have understood the discussions correctly, the 1.3 release will
> be the *last* release to ever consider breaking existing build
> files.

In my book Ant 1.3 shouldn't break anything and Ant 2.0 is (hopefully)
the *last* release to break build files - at least on medium time
frames.

> PS: I know that CVS branches can be a pain, but I have
> successfully used them in the past. One just has to be
> careful and RTFM before doing it.

I'm not really sure we'd really need a branch at all here, if the
refactorings are small enough that is. If we do, then we should try to
not use CVS branches IMHO. Creating them is no problem, but merging

Let's say you'd want to tackle a refactoring of argument parsing (much
too small to actually need a branch, but for discussions sake). Just go
out and create src/args.refactor/org/apache/tools/ant and do your
changes there. Don't copy anything, use the files that don't need to
be changed from /src/main (use two sourcepaths with src/args.refactor
being the first one used).

Stefan