ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:17:19 GMT
James Duncan Davidson <duncan@x180.com> wrote:

> However times they change. My involvement in this project is going
> to change substantially over the next few months. Yes, I've tried to
> do this before and failed. However, this time *will* be
> different.

Good to hear that.

> I'm in the process of writing up a proposal and playing with some
> source code thoughts for "AntEater -- a Proposal for Ant Core
> 2.0".

Well, basically we all seem to agree on the big picture of Ant 2.0 -
we also seem to agree that Ant2 might need to break with backwards
compatibility but provide a solid and stable basis for the future. I
understand that you want to go coding on your own and not let us lurk
prematurely to make sure things are moving forward - as opposed to
being discussed over and over again.

You probably have to be a little careful with the term revolution, as
you can't expect that everybody here is familiar with the thread on
general@jakarta dating back to January. Revolution always has the
connotation of replacing something old and bad, probably killing a few
people from the old system (and usually of eating its own
children). *I* know this is not the context you intend to use it in,
so I have no problem with the term here.

>     An optional servlet layer which can access build files and would
>     allow execution of build tasks remotely. This is targeted
>     squarely at setting up build and test farms on a multitude of
>     environments.

I think this is just a special implementation of

>     Framework for execution in several modes -- single shot,
>     repeated, and gui activated.

Other options like incremental mode or the continuous integration as
described in
<http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html>
where a change in the repository triggers a rebuild/-test process
spring to mind.

Now I'm going back to my evolutionary mode and wait until I can get a
clear picture of *how* you want to do things (the *what* seems to be
more or less agreed upon anyway).

Stefan