ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: Defining classpath with Taskdef
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:55:48 GMT
<> wrote:

> Hi,
> If I <echo> out the ${cp} property it is correct and
> lists all the jar files that are required. In the snippet
> listed below there are two ways of defining the classpath.

If you are calling the taskdef by means of <ant> and your <path> is
part of the calling project you'll need to "tunnel" it through the
property, so the refid version is not supposed to work.

Otherwise, both ways should work as well as

<taskdef name="vtorque" classname="org.apache.turbine.torque.ant.VTorqueTask">
    <fileset dir="../bin">
      <include name="*.jar"/>
    <fileset dir="../lib">
      <include name="*.jar"/>

You know that a <taskdef> performed in the called project won't have
any effect on the calling project, right?

> I have tried both methods individually and still get
> ClassNotFoundExceptions.

Where do you get the Exception? Inside the taskdef or when you try to
use the task?

I'd suggest to use "ant -debug", this will list where Ant tries to
load a class from, some classes must be loaded via the system
classloader (using your system CLASSPATH), others will be loaded by
Ant. You cannot load any class from a package starting with java. from
your custom CLASSPATH for example.

View raw message