ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: OS detection: am I missing the obvious?
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2000 17:21:56 GMT
Simeon Fitch <metasim@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has there been any talk of a more direct approach,
> i.e. boolean evaluations in the "if" attributes?

Many, many times, yes. The answer of (almost?) all committers is "no
thanks". The reason is that one needs to stop at some point with
regard to adding complexity.

One can argue whether "what we have and nothing more" is pulling the
brakes too early ... I doubt so.

> particularly given that Ant builts will often have to have platform
> specific components in them.

This is an issue the I personally would love to see resolved in a
separate tool (this is exactly the use case configure solves for
make).

Stefan