ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Bullock <dbull...@ardec.com.au>
Subject RE: Searching for build.xml
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2000 05:46:46 GMT
Perhaps a reasonable compromise might be to include the 'seach for build.xml' feature implemented
in Java, but require the user to turn it on explicitly at the command-line (or just have an
option in their .antrc)

That would:

a) save a surprise for those who don't expect ant to find the nearest build.xml and start
processing it.
b) save the people who really want this behaviour (which is probably related to their style
of using command-line shells and current directories) from writing a script file for their
own operating system.

It could be argued that this starts a landslide towards having all manner of arguments to
the ant wrapper script, but I think that there is a finite number of these, and it doesn't
really contribute greatly to the complexity of using ant...most people can cope with having
to set a command-line option, and writing their own wrapper/alias to invoke frequently used
ones.

$0.02
David.

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Personally I think that all of you who are against this behavior are
> crazy.  I would be insane too if I had to specify the location of my build
> file every time too... so I guess I can understand that a little.
>
> I am fine with backing out this change, though I think that it would be
> better to make it optional and not the default action.  There isn't any
> reason why a build system can not be easy to use and simple at the same
> time.
>
> I have pretty much given up on helping this effort due to the ultra-purist
> nature of the developers.  I tend to consider myself a purist, but you guys
> take the cake.  Though I would rather help add useful features to an
> open source project, rather than making private modifications, it seems
> clear that this group is dedicated to producing a system for different user
> needs.
>
> Perhaps once there is a simple and powerful way to add features to Ant
> (with-out having to maintain a private version) then developers can be free
> to include/exclude the functionality that there environment demands.
>
> With respect to 'Searching for build.xml ...' I say, back out the change and
> let the inevitable mutations of searching wrapper scripts continue.
>
> --jason
>

> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Diane Holt wrote:
>
> > --- John Hempe <jhempe@north.com> wrote:
> > > EEK!  Please don't make it do that.
> >
> > It already does. What we've been discussing is whether that functionality
> > should be backed out. (I was anti adding it, and I'm pro backing it out.)
> >
> > > Remember, an Ant-sized ant can lift 5 times its body weight or more
> > >
> > > P.S.  Does Ant mean or stand for anything?
> >
> > You've answered your own question.
> >
> > Diane
> >
> > =====
> > (holtdl@yahoo.com)

> > Thousands of Stores.  Millions of Products.  All in one Place.
> > http://shopping.yahoo.com/

David Bullock
Project Leader
dbullock@lisa.com.au

"It's no use saying 'We are doing our best.'  You
have got to succeed in doing what's necessary."
    ...Winston Churchill

LISAsoft
http://www.lisa.com.au/

Adelaide                  Sydney
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000
Australia                 Australia

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866