ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Jars in CVS ??
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2000 20:20:43 GMT
Jon Stevens wrote:

> People who work behind closed doors don't care how
> hard it is to build it. That is the fundamental
> disconnect here I think.

Bogus.

People who work primarily on one project don't care how hard it is to work
on multiple projects.  That is the fundamental disconnect here I think.  To
take an extreme example - if Ant were to bundle the "wrong" XML parser in
CVS, that would make it difficult for a number of developers.

Having gone through this discussion quite a few times, one thing everybody
agrees upon is that it should always be possible to download everything one
needs to get up and running with a pre-certified configuration from a
single button click from a web page.

Where people begin to differ is that somehow this situation which somehow
easy enough for the most novice of end users is somehow too difficult for
the type of developers that one wishes to attract to the project.  This
argument I can't follow.

Returning  back to Ant, remember that pretty much every user of Ant is a
developer of some other project.  What I would like people to consider
before including a jar file in Ant's CVS is whether or not it is likely
that *every* project which depends on Ant is likely to work well with that
particular version of that particular JAR file in one's class path.

- Sam Ruby