ant-dev mailing list archives

From gle...@ca.ibm.com
Subject RE: [submit] Integration of Ant into Visual Age for Java
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:48:25 GMT

If Lotus Notes would quote properly, this would be easier, but here goes:

You are assuming that the optional/ide/VAJ*.class files are going to be in
ant.jar.  They will only exist (for the immediate future anyway) in
optional.jar, and thats only if you or I or some other kind soul
contributes it when a release is built.  Otherwise, the only way to build
those classes is to import them into the IDE.

So yes, you are right that in a release build, it will probably work pretty
closely with what you are describing.  But in any sort of development
situation these extra steps are necessary.

The default.ini file - don't require the user to write anything themselves
if they don't have to.  I'd leave it alone and just fix up the docs.

Trapping System.out - this really should be fixed, but its up to you.  If
you are getting output in a window, you don't expect chunks of pertinent
output to show up on the console.  People don't write <echo> tasks if they
don't want to see output.  If you don't fix it, I'd put a big warning in
the docs.

Whats really bugging me about this is packaging.  How do we best orgainize
this to fit into the standard Ant distribution?  I need to think a little
on this one (too little sleep and I've sworn off caffine... :-[ ).

Glenn McAllister