ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Knauf" <>
Subject Re: From attributes to elements and other concerns
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:18:53 GMT
In the ideal world, I would like to be able to use either elements or
attributes, as the mood takes me.  Failing that, I would prefer the power
of elements.

Remember, ant build files will eventually be constructed with a GUI,
hiding the complexity from the non-technical types that just want the
simple stuff.

Of course, that's just me. :-)

Aaron Knauf
Systems Integrator
Genie Systems Ltd
Auckland, New Zealand
Ph. +64-9-573 3310 x812

Peter Donald <>
23/11/2000 14:44
Please respond to ant-dev

        Subject:        From attributes to elements and other concerns

I just received a number of complaints/concerns about latest ant direction
from a number of relatively non-technical people (and as such I am not
if they are valid complaints). As ant has evolved there has been a
to reduce the number of attributes in a task and increase the number of
elements. So parameters are gradually going from "include" attributes to
"include" elements. I was told that this is increasing difficult for
average users. While I tend to agree that it increases difficulty I think
it is a fair enough tradeoff for added power in general. It does increase
the learning curve a little but ...

Not sure - what does everyone else think ? Is it desirable to continue the
trend or not ? I would say tentatively that it is a desirable thing to
elementize tasks.