ant-dev mailing list archives

From gle...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: Why does the echo task output to System.out? (Was: RE: [submi t] I ntegration of Ant into Visual Age for Java)
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:08:42 GMT

As it stands, with the changes I've made, if the message is directed to an
output file its _always_ directed to the output file.  The level is
ignored.  Thats the same behaviour we had previously.  The default level is
MSG_WARN to ensure output is always visible _by default_.  The only thing
that has changed is the fact that echo'ed messages now have [echo]
prepended to them.  The level functionality is completely optional.

Given the previous discussions, it probably would have helped to have read
the code changes.  Of course, it would have helped if I had updated the
documentation.

Now, given all this discussion, is it worth it to redo things so that
<echo> simply prints to a file _or_ a logger (not both), and <log> inherits
from echo, adding the level semantics?  Does this give everyone what they
want?  If so, I'll implement it today.

Glenn McAllister