ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/lib - New directory
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 02:50:24 GMT
Jon Stevens wrote.

>  I'm tired of arguing about this issue. For now the summary is
> that .jar's in CVS are a good thing. Once someone decides to
> implement JPAN, I will remove the .jar's.

I too am tired.  For example, I know from past experience that as a
committer if I were to -1 this, my objection would be ignored.

Furthermore, as a PMC member, I know that if I were to raise the issue
there it would be ignored.

Furthermore, I started to build this exact same JPAN type of thing.
(Though to be fair - I was focusing more on the open source part of the
equation, downloading the source and building a consistent set of binaries
- a process that makes painfully obvious the ramifications of every
projecting inserting their own set of binaries into the mix).  I quickly
came to the conclusion that I would need the cooperation of virtually every
project to get this off the ground.  Very few projects seemed concerned
when I indicated that they will be incompatible to upcoming Ant or Xerces
versions.

If you are interested in seeing the results - you can check out
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jakarta/buildlog.html.

 It has atrophied but as of tonight will again be running with current data
(sometime on November 16th, somebody decided to disconnect my LAN port, so
today I moved the equipment into another building).