ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 01:27:13 GMT
James Duncan Davidson wrote:

> My involvement in this project is going to change
> substantially over the next few months. Yes, I've
> tried to do this before and failed. However, this
> time *will* be different.

Yea, right ;-)

> Ant is ... one of the real gems of The Jakarta Project.

+1 !!!

> A rough overview of my thoughts that will be in AntEater --
>
>   Solidification of the Project/Target/Task hierarchy. This is the
>   core of Ant's model and it should be explicitly locked.

Please consider another layer above project ... it would be nice to compose
a system out of projects.  Example: Tomcat implements ServletAPI and
requires a project that implements JAXP.  One could even imagine encoding
"default" choices ...

>   A clear definition of how scripting (external or inline CDATA)
>   can be used with Ant through the Task interface -- keeping scripting
>   clearly separate and yet making Ant infinitely malleable to scripts.
>
>   A clear mechanism for providing tasks as source code and compiling
>   them on demand into tasks that can be used with the current project.

One should also be able to *define* tasks in scripting languages.

Don't assume that scripts have any metadata, so any additional definitional
requirements would have to be satisified by the build.xml.

- Sam Ruby