ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Chris Todd" <>
Subject RE: Home for ANT GUI (was: Ant GUI Requirements)
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 05:19:38 GMT

I agree with you that jEdit is an absolutely fine editor, and it has
recently become my default editor for virtually everything I do (Perl, PHP,
HTML, XML/XSL, bash, makefiles (please don't flame me for that :-), and what
little Java I can write in my free time), but I am afraid I have to bring up
a point that has been literally beaten to death on several ASF and jBoss
mailing lists over the last several weeks, and that is that jEdit is
licensed GPL.  It has become painfully obvious to even the most casual
lurker on these lists that the APL and GPL are worse than oil and just can't mix them.  They're actually more like solid sodium
metal and water...mix them, even in tiny quantities, and you get an
explosion that belies their initially diminuitive mass.  APL licensed code
cannot import GPL licensed classes and vice versa, or the GPL gets violated.

I am far from an expert on liscensing issues, and furthermore I am not an
Ant developer, and thus I don't have the authority to speak on behalf of
either the ASF or the Ant project, but I think I've read enough on these
lists over the last several weeks to say unequivocally that a jEdit plugin
for Ant will not be allowed to live in the Ant CVS, nor would its
development be supported by the Ant developers.  In fact, I think it is even
the case that if you or I were to develop an Ant plugin for jEdit just for
ourselves, just for our personal use, such that you or I never intended to
contribute it, we would _still_ be violating the GPL, because we had
modified the source and not given our changes back to the community.

Sincerest regards,
Chris Todd
Software Engineer
Alabanza Corporation