ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@ebinteractive.com.au>
Subject RE: Searching for build.xml
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2000 06:00:36 GMT
Jason,

You are, of course, entitled to your view. My view is that a tool that goes
wandering over my directory tree looking for a file to use is not well
behaved. Do you have a problem telling your compiler what files to compile?

> I am fine with backing out this change, though I think that it would be
> better to make it optional and not the default action.

Agreed. And that is what Stefan has said too.

> There isn't any
> reason why a build system can not be easy to use and simple at the same
> time.

Agreed.

> I have pretty much given up on helping this effort due to the ultra-purist
> nature of the developers.  I tend to consider myself a purist,
> but you guys
> take the cake.

As I started this thread, I guess you are referring to me as "ultra-purist".
I hadn't thought of myself that way :-) Is it just this issue that makes you
say this? Are there other instances?

> Though I would rather help add useful features to an
> open source project, rather than making private modifications, it seems
> clear that this group is dedicated to producing a system for
> different user
> needs.
>
> Perhaps once there is a simple and powerful way to add features to Ant
> (with-out having to maintain a private version) then developers
> can be free
> to include/exclude the functionality that there environment demands.

Since you have given up on helping, I guess you'll be waiting for someone
else to make this happen :-) Perhaps you'll reconsider and continue to make
contributions. I hope you won't always expect everyone to agree with you.

Cheers
Conor