ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@ebinteractive.com.au>
Subject RE: Jars in CVS ??
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2000 01:02:22 GMT

I do not support including jars for the optional components. By their nature
optional components are not required to develop ant nor to use the core
features of ant. As the number of optional tasks grows, trying to include
and manage all the supporting jars and their versions will become a
headache. The incidence of jar version conflict also will increase.
Duplicating jars from a host of other projects doesn't really make sense to
me.

Currently, if I install a number of different projects, I end up with a
number of versions of ant on my machine. We still get people wondering why
ant doesn't compile their files with JDK 1.3 because of the ant bundled with
Tomcat.

I think the documentation should state the dependencies and provide a URL
from which a user can download the appropriate components. I don't think
that would be too difficult.

I do agree that the issue is not black and white though. I agree versioning
is an issue and ant itself is a culprit here. I just don't feel that
including jars in CVS is the solution.

BTW, I agree that building Tomcat 4.0 was not easy. The real issue is
getting JMX from Sun. It worked once for me, but when I tried to get a
second copy, it stated that it couldn't export that software to my address.
If the required bits were simple downloads, there would be no real issue.

Cheers
Conor