ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Seibel" <pe...@kenamea.com>
Subject RE: Stronger JLS Adherence
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:09:29 GMT
Hi, I'm a new subscriber--funny that the first thing that'd make me
delurk (and a few days late) has nothing to do with Ant per se.
So I hope it isn't presumptuous of me to say:

-1

I'm not sure this is "Stronger JLS Adherence" so much as "Stronger
Jikes Suggested Style Adherence". While it's true that the public
modifier on interface members is redundant I don't recall anything in
the JLS "strongly discouraging" it. (The only style guidelines that I
remember being in the JLS are the Naming Conventions given in Section
6.8 and a suggested order for modifers given in secs. 8.3.1 and
8.4.1.)

As a practical matter, as a fallible programmer I prefer to have the
public modifier on methods in an interface: that way you can cut and
paste the method signatures from the interface into a class that's
going to implement the interface and not have to go in add add the
(now required) public modifier to all the methods. Less typing and
less opportunity for mistakes. I love jikes for its pedantry but I
think this warning is not about pedantry but about a personal
stylistic foible of the Jikes authors. I don't care about leaving the
'final static' off constants since you don't have to reuse the
signature anywhere.

This is obvious not a huge big deal, but all these little things add
up.

-Peter

P.S. If someone can show me that this recommendation actually comes
from the JLS then I'll have to consider whether I'd rather turn in my
Pedant First Class badge or my Pragmatic Programmer card. Hope that
doesn't happen. ;-)