ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck <stuart.roeb...@adolos.co.uk>
Subject Re: Rename / Move Directories
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:50:49 GMT

On Wednesday, November 29, 2000, at 12:10 AM, Peter Donald wrote:

> At 09:37  28/11/00 -0700, John wrote:
> >Hmmm. Nope, your not missing anything.  Looks like there should be a few
> >more
> >checks added to the task.  If the target directory does not exist then the
> >task should do a straight rename since it is the most efficient.  If
> >forceoverwrite
> >is true, then the target directory should be deleted and a straight rename
> >performed
> >on the source directory. Otherwise the existing functionality and overwrite
> >policy
> >should be enforced.  Does this sound reasonable?
>
> I think we should bring back rename or else their will be differences
> between modified time between tasks etc ?

Can't we just agree on whether or not modification times should be updated in the various
cases, and them implement them appropriately.

Taking the idea above, the the first two cases the actual implementation would utilise rename
and presumably not update modification times.

In the third case and the other case suggested by someone else (where a rename crosses file
systems), a copy is being produced, and modification times should be updated (at least for
the directories).

Personally I didn't like taking away rename at first, but I do like the idea of a lot of functionality
in a single task (copy) so that you have fewer tasks to remember the attributes of.

Stuart.

** We are currently experiencing prolonged difficulties with our email **
** provider DIGIWEB and INTERLIANT.  To guarantee that your response   **
** is received, please replace "adolos.com" with "adolos.co.uk"        **
** in your response.                                                   **

Lead Developer                                  Mac OS X, Java, XML, etc.