ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Combs, Clint" <clint.co...@contrado.com>
Subject RE: Home for ANT GUI (was: Ant GUI Requirements)
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:34:13 GMT
Would a jedit plugin distributed as an entirely separate module that only
calls external jedit plugin interfaces/implementations (doesn't modify jedit
source) fall prey to the GPL?  Could we distribute the plugin as an APL
piece of software without the GPL (jedit) code?  In other words, you are
responsible for getting jedit separately and plugging in the ant GUI.

I'm relatively new to these licensing issues and I know it's a tired
discussion, but I really want an APL distributable jedit plugin.

-Clint

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@locus.apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 1:19 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Home for ANT GUI (was: Ant GUI Requirements)

At 12:19  1/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I am far from an expert on liscensing issues, and furthermore I am not an
>Ant developer, and thus I don't have the authority to speak on behalf of
>either the ASF or the Ant project, but I think I've read enough on these
>lists over the last several weeks to say unequivocally that a jEdit plugin
>for Ant will not be allowed to live in the Ant CVS, nor would its
>development be supported by the Ant developers.

right

>In fact, I think it is even
>the case that if you or I were to develop an Ant plugin for jEdit just for
>ourselves, just for our personal use, such that you or I never intended to
>contribute it, we would _still_ be violating the GPL, because we had
>modified the source and not given our changes back to the community.

nope - GPL is only activated on distribution. You only have to give the
source to people you distribute the binary to. So you would be fine to
develope yourself but never be able to distribute it.

There is some argument that you could distribute the changes as a diff
against jEdit but I am not sure on the validity of that. You would have to
ask people at license@gnu.org to get definitive answer.

Cheers,

Pete