ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <>
Subject Re: beanshell
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:59:42 GMT
on 11/13/2000 12:40 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <> wrote:

> Jon Stevens <> wrote:
>> i'm new to the list, but i have actually got some of my code in Ant
>> so i'm not new to Ant by any means.
> welcome back, Jon. You are even still a committer as far as I can
> tell.

yep! thanks!

> None specific to BeanShell IIRC. We do have scripting support through
> BSF and it should be possible to support BeanShell through this as a
> scripting task. But this is not what you are heading to.

> BTW, BeanShell is LGPL, right? I know you have more experience with
> ASL versus GPL (WebMacro) and that you as well as Brian are in contact
> with the FSF to resolve this, but it still looks as if there was
> trouble ahead.

LGPL is not an issue as long as we are not distributing changed source code.
If we are simply distributing an unmodified .jar, there shouldn't be any

>> What I would like to do is essentially use BeanShell as a
>> replacement for the complex .sh/.bat files that we have to use to go
>> along with execution of Ant.
> Which .sh/.bat files are you referring to?
> The starter scripts for Ant itself? I don't think they are doing too
> much that could be done in Java, basically working on environment
> variables, which BeanShell couldn't do either.
> The antRun scripts? In JDK 1.3 we don't use them at all, likewise on
> Windows NT/2000, MacOS and OS/2 they don't get used. I can easily
> imagine modifying to use
> BeanShell instead of antRun if it present.
> In general I think we should support BeanShell (like through BSF),
> make use of it (like in Execute) but not rely on it, i.e. allow the
> users to use Ant without installing BeanShell - the starter scripts
> are not that complicated at all.

Right, the starter scripts are not that complicated at all _anymore_. I
guess my real problem is that I feel like I'm creating and working with a
million of them and I want to make it easier. :-)

Christopher's email was a great one and should help me out quite a bit.

View raw message