ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 02:03:41 GMT
On 11/13/00 5:38 PM, "Barrie Treloar" <Barrie.Treloar@camtech.com.au> wrote:

> What is wanted is for the xml file to be modified but to keep the same
> structure as the user entered (whitespace included).

As a heavy user of Dreamweaver which doesn't muck with existing HTML, I can
understand the motivation behind that. However, are there other reasons? The
need to have the user experience be seamless is important, but so is the
need for a good data model that can be exported to tasks, scripts, guis,
etc. There may be other ways of doing this than using DOM. Then again, maybe
not.

I'm going to reserve further comments until I hear more.

> I think what you are proposing is more inline with a Java/XML binding,
> which I believe is an easier way to manipulate the XML in a java
> centric.  That is compile XML into Java classes.
>
> You'll need to work out what is needed and how much of the original
> XML needs to be kept when working on it.

Obviously all of the original data represented by the XML has to be kept in
some way. For example, comments have to be kept with their
tasks/targets/elements whatever.

--
James Duncan Davidson                                        duncan@x180.com
                                                                  !try; do()