ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 01:33:20 GMT
On 11/13/00 5:22 PM, "Simeon Fitch" <metasim@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is all *very* good news for me, as I was only
> three days into the Antidote effort and I ran into the
> brick wall which is the current data model (and why I
> submitted the refactoring proposal). As evidenced by
> my last few mails about XML libs, it should have been
> appearent that I was using a data model separate from
> the Ant one, and this was out of necessity, not
> desire. The model I have developed is a w3c DOM model
> with the addition of property change event support. I
> had thought that if my approach worked out for the GUI
> then I could propose its "mergement" into the Ant base
> for a consolidated model.

Yep. I pretty much got all that. It's bugged me for a while that we didn't
have a good model to export out of the core to tasks, scripts, and gui's
that were one and the same model. It's just a core thing that needs to be
there.

> Duncan, I hope that you will be open to some
> discussion on the model, as there are certain features
> that would greatly aid the development of the GUI, the
> primary one being that the Project, Task, Target, etc.
> nodes implement the org.w3c.dom.Element interface.

I'm open to discussion, of course. So I guess I need to understand why you
want these elements to implement the Element interface... Right now I don't
see the need for the internal model to be a DOM impl where everything is
abstract -- just that the model match up with the external XML
representation on "factual" basis. Data round tripping rather than
byte-to-byte round tripping. I can infer that you would like the DOM for
editing purposes, however DOM elements are abstract and I would think that
as a GUI (and that tasks, etc) would prefer to work strictly with strongly
typed objects.

Is your concern with keeping comments and such inline with the tasks/targets
they represent?

If you could give a bit of background, it would help. (And if you have
already explained this once, please forgive. I tried to scan the history of
this list over the last few days, but have probably missed large gaps!)

> Regardless of how Ant generates instances of these,
> the GUI needs to have them as a full DOM
> representation of the build.xml file. Although you
> probably won't want to include all the items on my
> wish list, I'd like to at least get them communicated
> to you to make you aware of the GUIs needs (which
> should overlap with the needs of many other modules).

Yep. By all means send the wish list my way -- by Friday as my net
connection to my laptop gets severed Monday AM.

--
James Duncan Davidson                                        duncan@x180.com
                                                                  !try; do()