ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: beanshell
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:38:14 GMT
On 11/11/00 6:22 PM, "Simeon Fitch" <metasim@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ahh, the scripting question again...
>
> I'm fairly new to the list as well, but when I first
> joined it there was quite a long thread on the pros
> and cons of adding scripting to Ant. BeanShell, along
> with several others (JPython, JavaScript, etc.) were
> discussed. The question at the time, however, was not
> what scripting language, but if a scripting language
> should be added. There is a strong movement to keep
> Ant as simple as possible, and only as complicated as
> necessary. There are strong arguments for being able
> to accomplish most build requirements without a
> scripting language (aside from actually launching
> Ant).
>
> Antineers, have I got this right?

Somewhat.

My take on it is that the internal object model should be available to tasks
-- and that scripting language support should happen as a task. IE -- a task
can execute that runs a script (either from an external file or inline as
CDATA) and that task can reflect the internal model to the script for
manipulation.

.duncan

--
James Duncan Davidson                                        duncan@x180.com