ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: Some Thoughts on Ant 1.3 and 2.0
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 15:26:32 GMT
On 10/31/00 6:09 AM, "Simeon Fitch" <metasim@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Actually, I'd like to implement a mini parser that
>> just knew Ant's
>> particular syntax and remove the need to depend on
>> external libs.
> <snip>
>> Ok -- maybe that's a bit over the top.. But it's a
>> thought.
>
> I think the real argument for this is speed. If it
> will make loading and running Ant faster I think it
> should be considered. My builds with Ant are still
> much slower than they were with make.

I'm not sure speed differences would be appreciable. Maybe so -- maybe the
overhead of loading 2-3 classes (which is what a hand built parser would
require) rather than all of the classes in a generic parser would be
noticeable. Maybe not.

--
James Duncan Davidson                                        duncan@x180.com
                                                                  !try; do()