ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Siberski, Wolf" <>
Subject RE: [submit] Integration of Ant into Visual Age for Java
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:26:20 GMT
> From: []
> You are assuming that the optional/ide/VAJ*.class files are going to be in
> ant.jar.  They will only exist (for the immediate future anyway) in
> optional.jar, and thats only if you or I or some other kind soul
> contributes it when a release is built.  Otherwise, the only
> way to build those classes is to import them into the IDE.
You're right.

> The default.ini file - don't require the user to write anything themselves
> if they don't have to.  I'd leave it alone and just fix up the docs.
I'm going to fix the documentation in the next week.

> Trapping System.out - this really should be fixed, but its up to you.  If
> you are getting output in a window, you don't expect chunks of pertinent
> output to show up on the console.  People don't write <echo> tasks if they
> don't want to see output.  If you don't fix it, I'd put a big warning in
> the docs.

See my separate post about this issue.

> Whats really bugging me about this is packaging.  How do we best orgainize
> this to fit into the standard Ant distribution?  I need to think a little
> on this one (too little sleep and I've sworn off caffine... :-[ ).
I haven't come up with a good solution yet, too.
What I considered is writing a special build file
which gets the VAJ location as property and
builds and installs the tool correctly.
With such a build file we could stuff everything
together in one subdir and let the build
sort it out for the potential user.
It seems to be feasible, but I just don't have
the time to do it.

View raw message