ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Hall, John" <jh...@solant.com>
Subject RE: Rename / Move Directories
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:37:51 GMT
Hmmm. Nope, your not missing anything.  Looks like there should be a few
more
checks added to the task.  If the target directory does not exist then the
task should do a straight rename since it is the most efficient.  If
forceoverwrite
is true, then the target directory should be deleted and a straight rename
performed
on the source directory. Otherwise the existing functionality and overwrite
policy
should be enforced.  Does this sound reasonable?

jh

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Roebuck [mailto:sr@adolos.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 5:27 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Rename / Move Directories

With the deprecation of rename, it appears that there is no direct
equivalent to

	<rename src="sourcedir" dest="destdir" />

where 'sourcedir' and 'destdir' are directories.

The current <move> replacement appears to be:

	<move todir="destdir">
      <fileset dir="sourcedir"/>
	</move>

but whereas the former command simply renamed the directory, the later
copies every single item in the source directory to the destination
directory and then deletes the source.  This is clearly a much more time
consuming task for large directories - I have a 600Mb case at the moment!

Am I missing something?

Stuart.
** We are currently experiencing prolonged difficulties with our email **
** provider DIGIWEB and INTERLIANT.  To guarantee that your response   **
** is received, please replace "adolos.com" with "adolos.co.uk"        **
** in your response.                                                   **

Stuart Roebuck, BSc, MBA        Tel.: 0131 228 4853 / Fax.: 0870 054 8322
Managing Director                       Alpha Numeric Pager: 07654 588898