ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Hall, John" <jh...@solant.com>
Subject RE: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:12:38 GMT
Ok... guess I'm from outer space.  Won't bring it up again.

jh

-----Original Message-----
From: Hall, John [mailto:jhall@solant.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 8:39 AM
To: 'ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)

JDD,

I made a suggestion to Stefan in an earlier thread that
I wanted to submit to you for "architecture revolution". :-)

Besides getting ant in the house as the only build tool, we
found another use for it (or part of it at least). We have
a Java based installer tool that we use that didn't quite
meet our needs (i.e. it doesn't work!). What we ended up
doing was to use the installer tool gui to gather the
necessary information and used ant to actually install the
product.  Now I'm not saying that I want ant to become an
installer tool, but that there are many common components/tasks
in ant that could be used in an installer tool.  I think that
it would be worthwhile to architect ant 2.0 in a way that a
future installer tool project could re-use the ant
components/tasks that make sense for that project.
What do you think?

jh