ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Hall, John" <jh...@solant.com>
Subject RE: Fw: Control flow (if,while,for) proposal in ant (xml based).
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 21:09:54 GMT
I agree with Stefan that ant needs to be kept simple, but I am
also seeing an ever increasing number of user requests for more
advanced control flow.  Blast! I hate it when design philosophy
bows to customer requests! 8^)

+1

Oops, here comes the VP of marketing again, gotta go.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@bost.de]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 7:07 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Fw: Control flow (if,while,for) proposal in ant (xml
based).

Nico Seessle <Nico.Seessle@epost.de> wrote:

> How about extending the pattern of a Task to allow any task to
> become and element of a task if it allow it?

If we wanted to allow for something like this, I'd probably see it
along the lines of

public abstract class EnvelopeTask extends Task {

    //call project.createTask and do something clever with it
    public abstract Task createTask(String name);
}

and add a EnvelopeTaskHandler to ProjectHelper to support this.

all kinds of logic in them - and it still was inside a task, not
inside Ant.

I'd prefer a solution like this over extending control structures
internal to Ant, but I'm not really fond of it.

+0

is probably my best answer.

Stefan