ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Hall, John" <jh...@solant.com>
Subject RE: OS detection: am I missing the obvious?
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2000 21:45:31 GMT
I can see the reasoning for ruling out booleans in if/unless. But the check
for OS is so common place that it would be useful to many users of ant.  I
know there has already been much discussion about "magic" properties as
well, but is there a compromise that could be made here?

jh

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@bost.de]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 10:22 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: OS detection: am I missing the obvious?

Simeon Fitch <metasim@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has there been any talk of a more direct approach,
> i.e. boolean evaluations in the "if" attributes?

Many, many times, yes. The answer of (almost?) all committers is "no
thanks". The reason is that one needs to stop at some point with
regard to adding complexity.

One can argue whether "what we have and nothing more" is pulling the
brakes too early ... I doubt so.

> particularly given that Ant builts will often have to have platform
> specific components in them.

This is an issue the I personally would love to see resolved in a
separate tool (this is exactly the use case configure solves for
make).

Stefan