ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Rename / Move Directories
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:10:41 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>

> John Hall <jhall@solant.com> wrote:
>
> > If the target directory does not exist then the task should do a
> > straight rename since it is the most efficient.
>
> This is not enough I'm afraid. You have to be sure that you really
> want to include everything from the source directory so you'd have to
> check that there is exactly one nested fileset and this one doesn't
> hold any patterns (which implies no default excludes).

This is way too complicated. I think we should just revive <rename>
or modify <move> to be able to say:

  <move from="oldName" toDir="newDir" />

  <move from="oldName" to="newName" />

and these are plain renames. If the names correspond to different
file systems and cannot be renamed, the task should just fail
(as does the UNIX command).

The use of filesets should be seen more like an advanced feature
than anything else. Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity ....

Jose Alberto