ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Why does the echo task output to System.out? (Was: RE: [submi t] I ntegration of Ant into Visual Age for Java)
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:32:56 GMT
> From: Simeon Fitch [mailto:metasim@yahoo.com]
>

> --- Jose  Alberto Fernandez <JFernandez@viquity.com> wrote:
> > > From: glennm@ca.ibm.com [mailto:glennm@ca.ibm.com]
> > > I have to agree with Wolf's analysis of the situation
> with <echo>.  In
> > > fact, I agree so much I've made the changes he's suggested
> > > and commited
> > > them. :-)
> > >

> > -1, I would have prefered to keep the logging capabilities for a
> > different
> > task.
> > A subclass of <echo> perhaps.
>
> One thing to consider is that for a new user deciding between
> <echo> and
> <log> might not be obvious. Keeping the number of tasks that
> do similar
> things to a minimum is a desireable thing IMHO. I think it is
> ok to provide
> different attributes to the <echo> task to get different
> behavior rather
> than different, but functionally similar tasks. Think
> (although I'm sure
> someone out there is going to flame me for this :) ):

You are right :-)

Any OO person would tell you that it is not good to just add
more options to something for it to do different things, but
you should instead define a subclass with the modified behaviour.

>       echo "my message"
> vs.
>       echo "my message" > /var/mylog
> vs.
>       echo "my message" | logger

Not exactly like above, since we are not sending just the output
of <echo> but also the output of every other task.

> vs.
>       echo "my message" > /dev/null

Of course, my problem was with:

  echo "my message" -if-log-level=info |logger

what does this means?

  <echo message="my message" output="myfile" loglevel="info" />

what does it mean to just write to a file depending on the log level?
Can I compile a file depending on the loglevel?

On the other hand:

  <log message"my message" loglevel="info" />

says log the message at loglevel info, which is not depending on anything
the message is always sent and it is upto the logger infrastructure to
decide if the
message will be filtered out or not.

I can imagine ANT bradcasting to multiple loggers each one with its own
loglevel. So for example the embedded GUI console do not gets all the
tracing, but a the debug file will.

Jose Alberto
PS: By the way, there is also a <fail> task. What should be the behaviour of
that one?