ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 01:45:37 GMT
> From: Simeon Fitch [mailto:metasim@yahoo.com]
>

> This is all *very* good news for me, as I was only
> three days into the Antidote effort and I ran into the
> brick wall which is the current data model (and why I
> submitted the refactoring proposal). As evidenced by
> my last few mails about XML libs, it should have been
> appearent that I was using a data model separate from
> the Ant one, and this was out of necessity, not
> desire. The model I have developed is a w3c DOM model
> with the addition of property change event support. I
> had thought that if my approach worked out for the GUI
> then I could propose its "mergement" into the Ant base
> for a consolidated model.
>
> Duncan, I hope that you will be open to some
> discussion on the model, as there are certain features
> that would greatly aid the development of the GUI, the
> primary one being that the Project, Task, Target, etc.
> nodes implement the org.w3c.dom.Element interface.
> Regardless of how Ant generates instances of these,
> the GUI needs to have them as a full DOM
> representation of the build.xml file. Although you
> probably won't want to include all the items on my
> wish list, I'd like to at least get them communicated
> to you to make you aware of the GUIs needs (which
> should overlap with the needs of many other modules).

I woould have quite a few problem with ANT going back to a
DOM internal representation, as oppose to the current SAX ->
custom representation used today. DOM is extremely heavy
and I see no reason for it just because of the GUI.

I see no reason for the GUI being able to manipulate ANTs
internal representation of the build. Is there any good reason for
this?

Why not using SAX as the inter-module representation of the build.