ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Searching for build.xml
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 21:59:11 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>

> At 06:02  2/11/00 +1100, you wrote:
> >As you may recall I expressed some reservations about the
> feature introduced
> >in ant 1.2 whereby ant will search up the directory tree for
> a build.xml
> >file
> >
> >I recently asked my sysadmin to install ant 1.2 on our Unix
> system and,
> >after reading the release notes, he sent me a colourful
> email, attached
> >below.
> >
> >Dose anyone else, or their sysadmins, think this is a problem?
>
> yep ;)
> I agree it is useful (reduced the size of my elisp code
> heaps) but I never
> felt comfortable with it.

Well JDE already can look up the directory tree for a prj.el file.
With that I was able to locate my build.xml file eventhough in my
case the build file is not in a parent directory but on a parent sibling

  project/src/com/..../*.java
  project/utl/config/build.xml

as the default ant behaviour was useless. I agree 100% with changing this to
be an optional feature and maybe make it more powerful:

  ant -find utl/config/build.xml

will search for "utl/config/build.xml" up the directory tree.
The current behaviour is just:

  ant -find build.xml

And yes we should probably have some maximum number of dirs searched.

Now that would be useful to me.

Jose Alberto