ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/lib - New directory
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:24:32 GMT
At 01:38  29/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>>> Nevertheless, if I had voted -1, as Sam has done,
>>> I hope it would not just degrade to -0. That isn't
>>> how I understand the decision making process.
>>
>> Well you can't -1 with no reason. I think I have
>> tried to address all the reasons (at least that I
>> aware of ;]) for -1 so the -1's effectively become
>> +0s unless more reasons are supplied ;). I don't
>> know if thats official but thats the way it seems
>> to occur in the groups I monitor ...
>
>Very dangerous.  Concrete example: suppose somebody decided they really
>wanted to make Ant functionally equivalent to make.  Suppose they believe
>that they had addressed to their own satisfaction any and all concerns, and
>therefore all vetos were mere nuisances.

It is not about addressing the issue to my satisfaction - it is about
solving the problem. If the problem no longer exists then how can it be
said to not be addressed to anyones satisfaction? If the solution is
non-optimal, wrong, whatever then more problems will be raised with that
and the process will continue.

No one will ever succede in making Ant equiv to make because there are
problems with make (except they are called features ;]). Ant is a solution
to the problems in make - as long as one person still recognizes that make
has problems we are safe ;) The worst that could happen is to completly
solve the problems of make a different way in which case they would be
given a proposal directory and told to go for it ;) (or at least they
should be ;])

Cheers,

Pete