ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/lib - New directory
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:22:58 GMT
At 01:20  29/11/00 +1100, you wrote:
>I did not formally vote -1 on this issue. I merely stated my position that I
>was opposed to storing jars in CVS.

okay - my mistake - I think someone -1'ed it thou ;)

>Nevertheless, if I had voted -1, as Sam
>has done, I hope it would not just degrade to -0. That isn't how I
>understand the decision making process.

Well you can't -1 with no reason. I think I have tried to address all the
reasons (at least that I aware of ;]) for -1 so the -1's effectively become
+0s unless more reasons are supplied ;). I don't know if thats official but
thats the way it seems to occur in the groups I monitor ...

>In fact, I believe this discussion
>was started in the thread "Jars in CVS". I believe the last entry in that
>thread was where you replied to me mostly agreeing with what I said :-). I
>didn't really see any attempts to lobby a change in my opinion.

Nope as I mostly agreed except for a number of small points - namely
junit/parser is required to build ant thus should be in CVS. You never
responded so I took that as agreeance.

>I think that at this time the arguments have been heard and most people's
>positions are known. It does not appear that there will be any change in
>opinions. I would lobby Sam to change his -1 to -0, not because I think he
>is wrong, but merely so that we can move on from this.

in process ;)

>I will think some more about Jon's JPAN idea and Sam's system concepts.
>Perhaps we can arrive at something with which everyone agrees without
>duplicating a stack of jars in CVS.

I would love to see a tool like this applied to general software packages -
not just java. I can't wait till we seen an integration of
Installshiled/RPMs/APT-Get like functionality - that would make things sooo
easy ;)

Cheers,

Pete